Saturday, September 24, 2011

This Always Happens

We get so busy with everyday life stuff that I don't make the time to sit still and write about it in the quiet of the night.  So far, I have already attended 2 births and 1 mom just after her babe came.  This evening, I spent time helping the wonderful student midwives acclimate to our busy prenatal visits.  We were rather slow since it's Saturday.  Tuesdays and Thursdays are our busier days.  I got to do a prenatal visit with Ibu Robin for a fellow Southerner living here and a Japanese woman planning a homebirh with us.  Having not yet been to a homebirth in Bali, it will be wonderful to attend her with Robin and my dearest midwifery partner friend here. 

This month is a little different from my previous trips to Bali.  I am acting as the Volunteer Coordinator for the next month as we are in between Coordinators after a year of the most wonderful D and all here improvements to the program.  So, my primary role is not as a student midwife but to help the student midwives along and to manage the incoming requests for volunteer placements.  I am honored to have been asked to fill this role.  And, so far, I am enjoying it.  Next week, we'll have more requests for me to address.  We've already started our weekly check-ins with the volunteers here.  These will continue and we're doing a study/skills meeting each week, as well. 

The food is incredible as usual.  Seeing familiar faces followed by their warm embraces are so delightful.  The love of our Balinese family here woos us in each time.  From the young 4 year old to the grandpa of the bunch, we feel so welcomed.  With this being a week to settle in, we are collecting groceries, art supplies, & pants for the girls (we packed few clothes), setting up our cell phones, renting library cards and having books made.  It was incredible to find Waldorf homeschooling books at the local library today!  Yay for Kindy Fairy Tales for my lil E bear.  We also are signing both girls up for Balinese dance lessons each week since B decided to join her big sister.  We'll see how it goes.  Thankfully, if she doesn't get into it, she can go flip through a book with her dad in the next room.  We're fighting off mosquitoes and the tiniest touch of Bali belly, which means we are also hand washing lots of clothes.  That part always happens, too but our goal is to lessen it as much as possible this time.

My hope is to share many pictures and stories of our days here this time as the internet connection has tripled in speed since our last visit.  And, I have incredible news to share so each of you who read can donate a trunk full of money without having to write a check.  Very exciting.

No comments: