Thursday, September 8, 2011

Garlic Fever Reducer

You all will be happy to know that after applying minced garlic+coconut oil+olive oil to the bottoms of her feet, that bear's temp went down almost immediately.  It was incredible to feel her body's temp decrease as I sat beside her reading books and feeding her some dinner.  I almost couldn't believe it was happening so quickly and doubted what we were experiencing.  Silly, yes.  A wonderful mama friend of mine today said, "Oh, after we applied garlic to his feet, the temp went down instantly."  I was like, woah, that is what happened to the bear!  It was great to see and hear this works.  Yay.  Her temp was 98.4 and she played at a birthday party all day today as if yesterday wasn't her highest fever ever day.  Wow.  We'll be taking it easy for the rest of the week to let her recover. 

Here's the recipe interpreted by me from my herbalist friend, Erin:
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons coconut oil

The coconut oil may need to be warmed a bit so it's liquid and not solid.  Put all of these in a food processor for a bit.  Strain the liquid portion off.  Put the mash in the fridge to get it to congeal up.  You can keep it in the fridge in a sealed container for a while but I am not sure exactly how long.

How we used it:
I dubbed it Pirate medicine since B is so into that sort of thing right now.  And, honestly, I would guess that pirates may have used something similar to this...maybe.  ;)  I placed a big glob of it on a long piece of guaze then centered that in the middle of her foot.  I wrapped the gauze around tight enough so the ingredients would stay put but kept her comfortable.  I placed her wool socks over this to keep the gauze in place.  The socks were too small, we learned!  They are last year's socks.  So, I took them off very carefully and used tape to keep them in place.  She slept with them on overnight & was walking around in them this morning before we decided to take them off.     

No comments: