Monday, September 5, 2011

First Tooth (Loss) & Oh, So Much More

Searching for the pictures of her first bottom teeth brought back so many incredible memories.  Clearly, she's much older than those precious baby days.  Can you see her two lil bottom ones?  They are getting loose and coming out in the same order that they came in.  Her second one is loose now!  This gaining and loosing has really got me thinking. 

What I am truly reeling from all of her newness in the past two weeks.  She was brave and happy in the ocean water, lost her first tooth, started kindy, is more content with herself/by herself than needing to be right beside me, got her first haircut of significant length, initiated staying with the kids at church (as opposed to sitting in the service with me) for almost 10 minutes, and is physically getting healthy for Bali without mama's reminders.  She's making plans for how she wants to do homeschool in Bali from volunteering with dogs and orphaned children to taking Balinese dance classes at the awesome library.  All of which equally excites this mama! 

It's just wonderful to see her feeling confident and brave- two things that have not been super comfortable places for her.  I've expected her to just be who she is and have worked with her over the years to instill confidence but often lost my patience with her needy and clingy self all day every day when only mama (and right on top of said mama) would do.  I did not expect her to be willing to try new things like this or feel so sure of herself when she wants to do something.  It's new and wonderful.  As much as I am impressed with her initiatives, I see this as just the beginning of her gaining independence and these small steps will continue into larger territories.  I am doing more than hoping that her community gives her those tools that go along with having such precious freedom to grow up.  What a privilege, what an honor it is to watch and guide this child.

No comments: