Friday, January 28, 2011

Birthday Weekend

Sunday is my 33rd birthday. 
beautiful
Last year, we celebrated at this really neat Eco-Lodge that runs on solar power and uses a rainwater catchment. 
the diners were so yummy.
Some professors from one of the universities in Indonesia created it as a nature preserve for birds and butterflies.  The pool was great, the four course vegetarian meals were delicious, the outdoor solar showers were fabulous and we really got to know the location of every toilet in the place.

swanky place playground
We walked on the beach at Jimbaran for hours and walked into this fancy, private resort that has a playground.  It's the only playground the kids ever played on in Bali. 

thankfully, cherry popsicle could come with us
We ate at Zula's Vegetarian Paradise, which is one of my very favorite places on earth to eat. 

walking on the beach
 I was sooooooooo sick with Bali belly that I could barely make it in any taxi ride over 12 minutes long without needing to stop somewhere.  Since we were a couple of hours away from the clinic and my Chinese herbs weren't working, i actually stopped in a random doctor's office to get meds!  It was the first time in years I had taken mainstream pharmaceuticals but I was so glad to begin to feel better the next week. 
that amazing beach
The real highlight was that I also caught two babies on my birthday last year.  I don't have any pictures of this, of course.  I try to be really respectful of the clients by not taking pictures, not to mention it's kinda hard to catch and photograph at the same time.  Hee hee.

beachy
This year, I am going out for vegan pizza with dear families that cherish me almost as much as I cherish them.  On Sunday, I am going to can tomato sauce for the first time.  In between, I hope to go on a dinner date with my hubby (one of three? that we've been on without kids in tow) and I am going to hope my friend comes home from the hospital after his surgery.  I love my birthday usually but this year I am just not feeling much up for the celebrations or the crowds of people.  I just want to go on a long walk and then a long sleep.  And, eat brownies.

Happy early birthday to me.

No comments: