Wednesday, January 17, 2007

doulaville

love it!

psuedo cousins


In the past weeeeeek, i have gotten so encouraged about being a doula. i attended my first client at durham regional hospital here in my town. the doc was really supportive of using telemetry, which i surely misspelled but it is a remote fetal monitoring unit that allows the mom to walk, move around and even get in water. the mom made use of it ans did the hard work of helping a baby come "down and out". i really want to respect the confidence of the mom and her family so bless me if i refrain from lots of details. if you know this mom, you can ask her if she would like to tell you the birth story of her first son.

on thursday, i traveled to the city where i was born 29 years ago this month. i spent time with the woman who gave birth to me in a hospital with an epidural that she hated getting. she labored with me and put me to her breast where i remained for over a year. i am so proud of her for breastfeeding me for so long and with such limited support. i am SURE it has been extremely helpful to me throughout my life! thank you, again, mom for your commitment and mothering.

i am becoming certified as a labor assistant through ALACE, a midwifery model of care program. i attended a three day workshop as part of that. care to know what else is involved in the certification process? Here is some info from the ALACE website:
* Attendance at the 3 day workshop
* Completion of the required reading list
* Successful completion of the written exam
* Audit a series of childbirth classes
* Written self-evaluations of 6 births you have attended
* Written performance evaluations from 3 people you have attended or worked with

I am just getting started but so happy to be following the call on my life to support women in the childbearing year. Please pray for me in this pursuit. I am beyond excited about the opportunities that lie ahead of me.

No comments: