Wednesday, December 13, 2006

"Vegan" "Rock and Roll"

So, what did you all do on monday, you ask?

We went to the grocery store in the early afternoon. One the way there, i called a dear friend who has just returned to north cack from some time in italy and elsewhere across the states. I spent the car ride to the grocery catching up a little with him. His wife called me during the grocery store shopping event to tell me she could join me for lunch! Woooo hoooo! I so enjoy talking with her and hearing her talk and tell stories. Leave it to an english major/song writer/world traveler/mom/god seeker/modest rock star to be about the best story telling person around. I will not do any justice to the story she told me of her son falling and being caught by claire. Should she add it to her blog, i will be quick to link it. At one point in the conversation, i was sharing how i am looking forward to being a volunteer doula in a hospital setting. I was trying to explain how i get to be this person who understands something very important (natural childbirth, in this case) among others who may not value it as much. It's an unoriginal thought to dub it "occupy from within" but those are the words i used followed by "you know?" and she laughingly replies, "yeah, it's called rock n roll!" My palm smacked my forehead with a big DUH, do i have any idea who i am trying to explain this concept to? I am sometimes a genius. My friends sometimes humor me just be letting me open my mouth.

On the drive home i saw a big work crew sign that said, "Survey Party". What does that mean exactly? Are the people in hard hats having as much fun as we do at our annual Halloween party? Is there a guy yelling "survey says..." a la Family Feud game show voice?

A couple friends came for dinner and stayed the night. Neither of them are vegetarian but they tolerate my vegetarian cooking and sometimes shower me with complements about the dishes i make. Monday night, J said, "You know, I am just glad you decided not to make this a vegan lasagna." I wasn't sure why he thought I had decided not to make it vegan. He went on, "I can handle vegetarian stuff but not so much vegan. Thanks for considering me." I gave a sly smile...his girlfriend says, "How do you know it's not vegan?" He says, "This? What we are eating right now? Oh, no way. I could tell." The clue that gave it all away was that I fed it to baby e and they know we are waiting until she's 78 years old to introduce dairy products. It pretty much made my night that my meat eating friend couldn't detect a vegan meal in his mouth. That must be how it all vegan!

No comments: