Thursday, December 14, 2006

Don't Drink the Kool Aid

Today, we started the morning off right by driving through starsucks for a soy latte while talking on the cell phone, and asking to make sure they take the plastic money. Yeah, I could not have felt any more american than that, I doubt. For the american cherry on top, I was running late.

We were on our way to one of my fave places. We still drive to those meetings in another town b/c they were our peeps for a full year, even before we were a true "we"...back when baby e was on the inside. Those ladies helped me get through some tough stuff, specifically my doula extraordinare who runs this website and makes cools shirts like the one baby e wore today. At least two people asked where I got it. At the grocery store, i chatted with a mom about pacifiers. After telling her that e never really got attached to one, she glanced at baby e's shirt and said, "I guess she found something else to suck on." Yeah, mom.

Today's meeting was interesting as they all usually are. I loved how a preggo had a bunch of questions and those got answered with complete disregard to the agenda. In case anyone did want to follow the agenda, a leader asked if there were any questions about it. Honestly, I need to work on my own struggle to stick to agendas and follow them meticulously. I also need to work on not exploding inside every time I hear someone talking about giving their baby or young child cow's milk to drink.

Additionally, let's all consider what options there are for young children when it comes to beverages. Breastmilk is clearly the best choice. Human milk for human babies. Water would be a great choice. Water with ice cubes could be really fun, I mean, for at least a year. Then, water in a fun cup would entertain them for at least another year. You've just bought at least three years of time before you have to give in to fluid like red dyed sugar, uh, I mean fruit punch. Anyone ever researched what red dye is all about anyway? Please let me know if you do, I am just curious.

After that, we went to lunch. We ate spaghetti and red dye. Just kidding we drank water. And, shaved our heads b/c we are now living like monks with all this water we are drinking. Geesh. Baby e played around with some other kids of moms that we were eating red dye with. There were some other fams there who we did not know. Guess that's what happens in public places and all. Anyway, one mother seemed to be super concerned that I wasn't walking up the soft plastic stairs with baby e. I helped her concern by telling her that baby e has been walking for about a month now (which may not have been clear by baby e putting her feet in front of each other in this mother's presence) and she climbs our wooden staircase at home every day. I do calculus and read philosophy books (all right, that's actually true!) while following her up the stairs. But, she wasn't believing me and called CPS anyway. When Liz, the CPS worker got there, we hung out and drank red dye in our beers together to toast our old time as fellow social workers. The mother was more outraged.

After lunch, we went to the grocery store for tofu, eggplant, water (no joke!), wine, OJ, cabbage, rice and spaghetti sauce. The boy child who helped load my groceries said twice, "I hope your husband's at home to help you unload this water." Sorry, kid, he wasn't. I actually had to use my weaker sex muscles to carry them in with a baby on my other hip. I wasn't barefoot, thankfully.

After drinking more water, i read while baby love took a nap. We drove to spend time with friends tonight. After voting, we chose to discuss Hanukkah and agnosticism vs. atheism. You know, basic wed night stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HI Gunters -- wow, you already did all that today! It's only 8:20 AM and I am just waking up . . . :) J and baby T