Sunday, December 30, 2007

Merry Christmas, Again!

We had a fun time on Christmas day trying to celebrate the birth of Jesus and spend time with our co-family. We spent the day before with a's mom visiting us. We opened gifts with her that day. She gave e the cutest organic pj's from under the nile. Winston Salem has a really great store called Baby Organics that you should all support, if you live or visit that town. It's in the same shopping center as Whole Foods. A made us pancakes, vegan sausage and I made fried potatoes and peppers.
We had another yummy breakfast Christmas morning before reading the story surrounding Jesus' birth. Growing up, my mom always made orange cinnamon rolls so this year, I found a recipe and veganized it! It was okay but not so great. Mainly, the rolls were cut too small so they got crispy instead of staying fluffy and soft. The larger ones turned out better and the glaze was very good.
So, we read a bit after breakfast. You know, we don't really hear much about Mary's labor and the actual BIRTH of Jesus but perhaps I should do some more research before thinking that info just isn't available. I sure would be interested in reading about it.
Then, we opened the few gifts we got for each other. My mom gave us lots and lots to open. Her presents took up most of the space under the tree. One of my fave gifts from her was a hand-knit bag for carrying groceries. I will admit that i liked the yarn for a's hat so much that i almost offered to trade him. Then, i remembered that we live together and can share. She made a great hat for ez in a pattern that we always get compliments on and a sweater vest. I want to avoid going on and on about "what gifts did you get for christmas?" and say we had a really fun day. E was way more into the celebration and giving this year than last year. That was really fun for us.
We made mashed potatoes and cookies that flopped later in the day to share with our co-family. We had so much fun playing with their new toys like a handmade wooden kitchen with hand crocheted vegan cupcakes. Too fabulous! We had quite a feast from amazing stuffing to gravy, celebration roast, green bean casserole, and even chickpea cutlets from Veganomicon (which my BF gifted us!). Then, most of them drank wine while nanja and I had sparking cider and e's boyfriend showered her with hugs and kisses all evening. A truly fabulous day!
Tomorrow, I will celebrate another birth...the birth of my husband, who will turn 31 on the 31st and begin his golden year! I love to celebrate everything about him.

No comments: