Tuesday, February 8, 2011

White Space

One of my dearest friends recently was telling me how she felt like there were so many great opportunities for homeschoolers in our area that it can be overwhelming.  Her daughter is really into exploring dance, theater, singing, colonial history, while maintaining close friendships with a few families they have known for a long time.  Over the years, I have always sought guidance and direction from this woman.  While it's not limited to parenting and homeschooling, she is often my go-to person in those areas.  So, when she realized how important it was to scale back and have more down time, I really paid attention.  Both she and her kids are really social.  One thing she taught me years ago though was to make time for "white space".  White space is the open, unscheduled down time to process everything that has happened.  It's empty enough to let the person absorb all that has come into their realm, to explore their feelings and basically, to soak it all up. 

I could spend a large part of my week in white space if there is even one day of going out, hosting at home or social activity.  Any car trip that involves bringing water, a snack and changes of clothes pretty much pushes me; I have to really be up for it.  I'd rather stay home to cook, read, chop wood and prep the garden.  As someone who needs a lot of private, quiet time, I have to balance that with the awesomeness of friendships and community outside our home.  It's so easy for the chicks and I to get into the zone of doing our own thing.  They get engaged in play so deeply with each other that it's like there's a force field around them.  While, I am thankful for this, I know if they don't have their cup filled with friendships or a walk to the park, they will go stir-crazy.  Outside of home life, I get to work with families in their childbearing years; thankfully, this kind of work actually energizes me.  Plus, my friend is right about how many awesome opportunities there are in our area: from neat parks, lakes, rivers and trails to interesting museums, parades and festivals.  On top of all of that, there are just simple get-togethers with like-minded families.  We haven't taken much interest in the organized events like Homeschool Science Fairs or the weekly enrichment meetings, yet.  But, can't you see how a family could homeschool without ever staying home?

No comments: