Saturday, September 22, 2007

Another Birth with Ez

Tonight was my official night at the birth center. I am still on call for births but it was the last time i will attend pre-natal visits. The whole night, I kept thinking that it is the last time I will see most of the mamas. Unless they give birth in the next 48 hours or so, I will not see them, again and they will go on to have children at bumi sehat and i will certainly not be there. Each belly that i touched seemed all the more special b/c i don't know when i will get to do that, again. Perhaps in Singapore I will have the opportunity to doula for mamas but i doubt that i will have one mom after another coming in for a checkup. I have had a lot of fun laughing with the moms as their babes moved and squirmed under my hands. Tonight, as soon as we finished with our last client, a women in labor was ready to have her fourth baby. One midwife went in to check on her whiel the rest of us were in the other room. She walked in and said, "A baby is about to be born." with a rather shocked look on her face as this baby seemed to be coming quickly. So, the other midwife and i followed her. Then, toddler ez followed us into the room. This was the second birth she has attended with me at the birth center. She just watches and asks me to nurse her. It was a beautiful gentle birth!

We are off to Singapore in one week from today!

No comments: